I have decided to post this here as I have had lots of requests for the recipe for home made fondant.
I'm sure we all know how expensive it is to buy, even if like me you are getting it wholesale, so being able to make your own at half the price is a good reason on its own but the fact that it tastes super yummy too is the best reason!
This fondant is super robust too, no tearing or elephant skin here!
This is a recent cake of mine using nothing but homemade and you can see how smooth it is.
Ok so here is the recipe and the how to handle it best tips :)
900 grams icing sugar450 grams marshmallows (I use asda cheap pink and white and split them)1 1/2 tablespoons of waterTrex or white fat of choice
1. Put the marshmallows and water into a bowl and microwave in 30 second blasts, stiring between until melted and smooth.
2. Add 1/4 of the icing sugar and stir in until incorporated then add half of the remaining sugar and repeat.
3. Rub a generous amount of trex onto your work surface (it really does help) and tip your mix onto it and give it a little knead.
4. Gradually add in the last of the icing sugar and knead well until smooth.
5. Rub a layer of trex over your ball of fondant and tightly wrap in clingfilm.
Leave it to rest overnight.
This fondant can be coloured in all the usual ways.
When needed unwrap and knead....dont worry if it feels quite stiff,its meant to.
Just pop in a bowl and microwave for a few SECONDS (ten is generally enough). It will soften up lovely
I roll mine with a little cornstarch but icing sugar works just as well.
For those that are visual learners like me, I have also made a little video tutoial :)